Taking a staycation this summer? No judgment here. We all want time at home to relax, Netflix and chill and above all, get to those projects we’ve been pushing off. For instance, painting the shutters? Organizing the garage, perhaps? We hear you.
Here are 10 easy things that you can do around the house to make the most of your time off, relieve that beast of burden lingering over you and therefore, adding some value to your home.
Here’s what to do on your staycation:
- Change your fixtures. For instance, new light fixtures, electrical outlets, and covers. The addition of crown molding can make a huge difference.
- Hang art. White space is great, however, adding a small piece here or there bridging the gap between your cabinets and ceiling or even a stand-alone easel on your counter can make your kitchen stand out.
- Add new curtains. Often overlooked, however the staple of how a room feels.
- Add new shelves. More shelving = more storage. Above all, more storage allows for MORE space to display more decorative substance.
- Try your green thumb. Houseplants brighten your home and help purify the air. For instance, If your thumb is more black than green, check out Good Housekeeping’s list of plants that are almost impossible to kill.
- Fiddleleaf Fig
- Asparagus Fern
- Chinese Evergreen
6. Paint a room. Inexpensive, relatively easy, and will completely change the feel of your room. Want to keep the project small? Paint an accent wall in a bold color like coral, hunter green, or misty blue.
7. Add under-cabinet lights. Additional lighting will improve the ambiance of your kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom
8. Paint your front door. The door sets the tone for the rest of your house. Choose a good exterior enamel; blue or red draws the most attention, however, be sure to choose a palette that matches the tone of your home. In addition, tan and gray tend to be more classic.
9. Paint your ceiling or ceiling fan. Paint is a trend and should be your main focus. Rule of thumb? Above all, color from above can really make a room pop!
10. Add decorative shutters. You can build your own or buy premade shutters to frame your windows and stand out from the crowd.
In conclusion, no matter how you spend your vacation, I hope you have a great summer! If you’re looking to buy or sell a home, I’d love to hear from you.